Monday, August 16, 2010

Another Thai Stirfry


I don't really expect everyone who reads this blog to go out and make the things I post-- I like to post winning recipes here so I can remember what was good and what it looked like. This is kinda like my recipe book, I guess. So, here's another Thai dish that is super good. It's got the same peppers-onions-chicken/pork that the other Thai stirfry has, but it tastes very different. The other one is very basil-y, and this one is hotter. There are other differences, too, but it's hard to describe them. If you really do want to know, then you should make both dishes and see for yourself how they're different. I love making the other one for people, and I will also love making this one for people. Just to shake things up a bit I will serve this one with noodles (I serve the other with rice).

This recipe was adapted from a recipe in that Thai cookbook I got Phil for his birthday.

Thai Stirfry II
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
5 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
1 lb sliced pork tenderloin or chicken breast
2 lg. bell peppers, sliced
1 lg. red onion, sliced
1-2 seeded jalapenos, chopped
1 1/2 t. red chili flakes
2 T sugar
4 T fish sauce
4 T soy sauce
1/2 c. lime juice
1 T cornstarch
2 T water
5-6 T peanut or veg. oil

First off, make the sauce and set aside: combine lime juice, soy and fish sauces, sugar, and red chili flakes. Also make the thickening agent and set aside: combine cornstarch and water.

Put the skillet/wok over med-high to high heat, add a couple T of oil, throw in the diced anchovy and garlic. Stir around about 30 seconds then add the meat. Coat meat with oil and anchovy/garlic, stirfry a few minutes until mostly done. Remove from pan. Add another one or two T oil, add veggies. Stirfry a few minutes, until almost done. Add meat back in, add sauce, stir to coat. Bring to a boil, add thickening agent, let boil a minute or two. Serve over Asian noodles or rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment