Saturday, June 12, 2010

Goodbye, Grandma

My grandmother was her own person. She enjoyed traveling, socializing, and bargain-hunting, but most of all she enjoyed her independence. For as long as I can remember she insisted she never wanted to be a burden in old age, so I guess she left this life the way she wanted-- in her own home.

I thought we had many more years with her, but I guess lots of people think that when they lose someone special. In the past five years I traveled lots of places with Grandma-- California, New York, Las Vegas, Hong Kong, and she always kept up with whatever I wanted to do. She probably even took a walk before I woke up most mornings.

Also, she always, always made sure we were taken care of. And she was happy to welcome new people into the family, from friends and boyfriends to the step-kids of her step-grandkids.

This picture was taken in 2005, when Mom, Gram, and I visited several wineries in/around Santa Barbara, California.

3 comments:

  1. this is a great post Erin,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss. It sounds like she was a great woman. And you got to go many places with her and enjoy her company. It sounds like you are blessed to have had her in your life.
    -Kris Springer Lahey

    ReplyDelete