Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Maybe Weird, Definitely Good



One time at a vegetarian (ok, THE vegetarian) restaurant in Fort Worth I had a wrap with sweet potato puree, spiced nuts, and some veggies, and it was really really good. I had a butternut squash sitting around, so I decided to give that type of sandwich or pita a try. I cut a butternut squash in half, olive oiled and seasoned it with my Everyday Seasoning Mix from Trader Joes, and roasted it until a fork easily pierced the flesh (350 degrees for about 60 minutes). Then I took my handy dandy immersion blender to turn the tender squash into a puree. That's it! It is super good, btw. It's great on it's own, but it's also great as a sandwich spread.

I have made this in a pita and in a tortilla wrap, both ways produce pretty similar results. Smear the puree on, sprinkle crushed pecans (like the sweet and spicy kind!), layer sprouts, spinach, onion, add a piece of turkey or jarlsberg cheese and roll up (if it's on a tortilla). Really really good, and so pretty, what with the bright orange puree, dark green lettuce, purple onions, etc.

Blog about the foliage of the Indy zoo coming soon.

2 comments: